Saturday, May 3, 2008

ScratchPad MX - Save Stuff For Later

For the longest time, I've had a shortcut on my Start menu that launched a text document called scratch.txt. This way, with a few clicks, I could save something I might need later, or if I needed a place to temporarily stick some clipboard stuff, I could use it for that. But the problem was, I didn't need a full-blown editor (or even half-blown, like Notepad) to do this. I wanted something that was editor-like, but stripped down to and streamlined for just the functions I needed. A real scratch pad, not an editor acting like one.

Specifically, I wanted the following:
  • Key combo launch, so it would be available at a moment's notice.
  • A command to create a section (insert a divider of some kind) to keep stuff separate from each other.
  • Save and close with a single command, for when I need to save something quickly until I have time to think about it.
  • After a while, you'll accumulate an eclectic mix of stuff, so a way to jump from section to section. (Also, a way to search.)
  • Close without saving, for when I'm just using it to store something temporarily, like when I'm clipboarding heavily.
So that's what I came up with. I call it ScratchPad MX. Here's what it looks like:

ScratchPad MX

Along the top, you can see the five commands available to the program. Pretty self-explanatory. Ctrl+f will jump through each section, which is defined by the line of "=" characters. If you type some text and highlight it, Ctrl+f will search down through the document for that text. (So actually, there are 5.5 commands.)

You can download the installer here. It will automatically install the program, and optionally, you can install a hotkey, WinKey+Space that you can use to bring ScratchPad MX up instantly.

ScratchPad MX is completely free. Also, this is version 0.01 (barely better than beta), so if there are problems or you think a feature might be useful, either leave me a comment, or email me at one of the addresses on my home page.

No comments:

Post a Comment